Should McClellan's rise to leadership be dependent on McDowell's Bull Run results?

Yes... I'd like to see McClellan's leadership dependent on McDowell's Bull Run results.
73%
No... Leave it as close as possible to the historical circumstances with no McDowell regards.
27%

Total votes: 41
Gray_Lensman

McClellan/McDowell

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm

deleted

arsan

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 pm

The idea sounds interesting but IMHO, maybe that "whole lot of work" time could be better used on other issues. :)
Of course all the time and work is yours so... ;)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:43 pm

As in general terms leader stats are not significantly effected by how well or poorly they perform 'in game' against how they performed in RL....I'd say whats the point.

As Arsan says though...you are the one doing the work...so whatever :)

biggp07
Corporal

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:55 pm

Since I play this game soley on the premise that it mostly represents actual history I voted to allow McDowells Bull Run results determine McClellens status in future. I personally would play this but it might not be for everybody, therefore I have not asked for it up to now. I'm just havin fun at the game!

Jim-NC

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:19 pm

McClellan was only promoted due to McDowell's disaster at Bull Run. He (little Mac) had shown some promise in pacifying WV. Lincoln was grasping for a winning General (his strategy for most of the war in East). I think the change would represent that.

However, I agree with Arsan, in that I think that there are better uses of time in improving the game.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gray_Lensman

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:37 pm

deleted

Clovis

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm

arsan wrote:The idea sounds interesting but IMHO, maybe that "whole lot of work" time could be better used on other issues. :)
Of course all the time and work is yours so... ;)

Not difficult. I made it some weeks ago..and just for the AI...Working good in the ...you know...Because player just have to have the choice...After all, they are Lincoln ...but sshh... :D
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:42 pm

This just complicates the game. I'm sure there are cooler things to work on.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Gray_Lensman

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:59 pm

deleted

Jarkko
Colonel

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:18 am

While one might say it is fantasy to stop McClellan from rising to leadership in 1861, I want to claim it would be even more fantasy to see McClellan replace a succesfull McDowell. I for one would very dearly want to see MD stay in charge if he is succesfull, as it would give the player a real impetus to attempt the attack in summer 1861 (while MD is not a stellar commander, he is still not quite as bad as MC :) ).
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:39 am

deleted

dragoon47
Private

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:18 am

I always thought it was quite entertaining to have to use McClellan, I don't see why pople would place him elsewhere :D ! All you have to do is put him in a position in which the South has no choice but to attack him and you no longer have to worry about attacking :thumbsup: .

What would this effect? The Bull Run scenario, or the 1861 campaign? If it's the campaign, then I'd leave it as is, but since I'm not sure what it's for I won't vote yet ;) .

Gray_Lensman

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:50 am

deleted

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:54 am

McNaughton had something like this in his Brigade Mod you could even end up keeping Patterson! :wacko:

S! EC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dragoon47
Private

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:28 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:You'd have to have loaded the various v1.13e Public Beta updates to understand exactly what I meant by suggesting this be added to the 1861 Campaigns w/KY scenarios and not the original 1861 scenarios. These are separate variant scenarios with a different handling of Kentucky neutrality of the main campaign scenarios. In other words they're not the main campaign scenarios.

Oh, this is the one that involves a unit that you send in just for the invasion of Kentucky, I'll check it out when I find the time. Thanks for explaining again Gray.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:37 am

deleted

dragoon47
Private

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:53 am

The idea just became that much more appealing :thumbsup: .

Chertio
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:31 am

I'm quite happy promoting McLellan when Mr. Lincoln orders it and giving McDowell something else to do.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:07 am

deleted

Spharv2

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:53 pm

I like the idea, would Mac remain a two star general if McDowell succeeds? I think it's the same "Takes command" event that promotes him to 3 stars isn't it? He may not be a great army commander, but as a corps commander, he could be quite useful. Without that auto-promotion and seniority jump, using him as a corps commander becomes a viable strategy.

Also, would you change the event removing him from play for his presidential candidacy? Without his time as commander of the AoP, I'm not sure he gains the political cache to be nominated by the Democrats...unless he's a raging success in whichever theater he ends up in.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:12 pm

No big deal to me. But as Gray so well knows, I like anything that improves general's historicity in the game ;)

WhoCares
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Just out of couriosity, a successful McD somewhat implies a bad Jackson/ANV performance for the south. Would this accelerate Granny Lee taking command?! Talking about dimishing benefits for the Union :bonk: :wacko:

Edit: Another questions would be how the AI might handle this. Though I think the scenarion in question might be PBEM only - I'd imagine the AI can't resist to build those cheap Kentucky units - or not if they have no fighting ability; but it would be predictable for the player anyway... ;)

Spharv2

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:49 pm

WhoCares wrote:Edit: Another questions would be how the AI might handle this. Though I think the scenarion in question might be PBEM only - I'd imagine the AI can't resist to build those cheap Kentucky units - or not if they have no fighting ability; but it would be predictable for the player anyway... ;)

I assume you're talking about the Kentucky event. If so, I've seen the AI (Union) wait till it naturally fired (There's a time limit on neutrality), and I've seen it do it the first turn, so there's plenty of variability.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chertio
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:57 pm

it would actually be more realistic to tie McDowell's demise to the failure to satisfy the "1861 Threaten Richmond" events.

If McDowell had won at Bull Run, no doubt the politicians would have demanded Bigger and Better Victories, and he would have been pushed until his inexperienced army came unstuck. So this does sound more realistic.

What of McDowell, removed from the game like Patterson? That would leave the Union with Hamilton and Milroy at 2* and the usual suspects at 3*, would the Union be getting a bit short of Corps Commanders come '62? [Edit - as Spharv2 points out, McDowell was demoted not removed. Dumb mistake on my part :hat: ].

Would Patterson be removed only if/when McDowell got demoted, or removed at all if there had been some victories?

It sounds like an interesting scenario, I enjoy playing the Union and having to make the best of ineffective officers.

Spharv2

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:21 pm

Chertio wrote:What of McDowell, removed from the game like Patterson? That would leave the Union with Hamilton and Milroy at 2* and the usual suspects at 3*, would the Union be getting a bit short of Corps Commanders come '62?

I can't imagine he would be removed. Gray is dedicated to maintaining the historical nature of the game. in real life, McDowell was demoted to a lower command, so I imagine he will be reduced in rank (Replaced by a 2 star model) or simply placed at a lower seniority among 3 star generals, and would thus be usable as a corps commander.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chertio
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 pm

McDowell was demoted to a lower command

True - dumb mistake on my part!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:57 pm

deleted

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:41 pm

I voted no but then I see it from this perspective - the more you have to change then inevitably the more you have to fix. The more of a headache you are giving yourself when there are other projects on going that might add more to the game more immediately.
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Pdubya64
Captain

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Brochgale wrote:I voted no but then I see it from this perspective - the more you have to change then inevitably the more you have to fix. The more of a headache you are giving yourself when there are other projects on going that might add more to the game more immediately.

I think they call that "the law of unintended consequences", don't they? Back on subject; I do like the idea, maybe it would be best to confine it to a scenario. If the complications of campaign use were to change it might make a good implementation for the early game.
"Yonder stands Jackson like a stone wall; let us go to his assistance." - CSA BrigGen Barnard Bee at First Manassas

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Havely must really like you!!! All your patches? What influence have you? t

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”