aryaman

About drag and drop system

Fri May 11, 2007 5:42 pm

I find the drag and drop system to move units rather untidy
1) As the same system is used to move units within stacks in a region, sometimes I miss the target, and some units are sent by mistake a long tour. Usually I realize my mistake, but it is not the first time I start a new turn with some units traveling to a distant location i didn´t intend to.
2) The movement of ships to distant places is rather painful, dragging the unit all the way across that inmense map, if you miss the intended location sometimes you are forced to get over the process again...

My suggestion, use the left click for selecting/right click for destination system, with the path showed like now, while keep the drag and drop only for managing stacks, it is standard for many games and it works fine.

jackfox
Sergeant

Fri May 11, 2007 5:57 pm

You can select the stack you want to move by clicking (don't drag), then scroll to your desired location or click on the area in the little inset map so that the location is on screen. Your stack should still be in the unit panel at the bottom of the screen. At this time, click the stack's tab and drag it onto the desired location on the map. This is much easier than clicking and dragging all the way across the map.

Carrington
Captain

Ergonomics of the click...

Sun May 20, 2007 5:28 pm

aryaman wrote:I find the drag and drop system to move units rather untidy
1) As the same system is used to move units within stacks in a region, sometimes I miss the target, and some units are sent by mistake a long tour. Usually I realize my mistake, but it is not the first time I start a new turn with some units traveling to a distant location i didn´t intend to.
2) The movement of ships to distant places is rather painful, dragging the unit all the way across that inmense map, if you miss the intended location sometimes you are forced to get over the process again...

My suggestion, use the left click for selecting/right click for destination system, with the path showed like now, while keep the drag and drop only for managing stacks, it is standard for many games and it works fine.

I don't know that I'd term it "untidy," but I agree that the drag and drop system could be improved. Ergonomically, the only thing worse than clicking 100 times in a turn (or however many times one clicks) is dragging and dropping 50 times.

To add to that, one of the big problems with drag/drop or clicking is when you've recruited a large number of units and want to send them to the front -- some way of coding in 'waypoints' or 'rally-points' would be useful. Indeed, a nice way of handling this would be a separate reinforcement screen that listed all of the reinforcements received in a turn, and allowed you to specify their destinations when they finished training up.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun May 20, 2007 9:46 pm

yeah, Jackfox is right on this one. That makes it a lot more easy to manage.

altough an "autojoin" function, like in Forge of Freedom would have been much appreciated.

So you select a stack - select autojoin - and the top 5 "popular" destinations are put on top of the scroll list. F.e. you gather your units at Memphis, or at Richmond ? Just a quick click and the unit moves by itself,

Carrington
Captain

Sun May 20, 2007 10:57 pm

Spruce wrote:yeah, Jackfox is right on this one. That makes it a lot more easy to manage.

altough an "autojoin" function, like in Forge of Freedom would have been much appreciated.

So you select a stack - select autojoin - and the top 5 "popular" destinations are put on top of the scroll list. F.e. you gather your units at Memphis, or at Richmond ? Just a quick click and the unit moves by itself,

very true, but even then
double-click to select a unit for drag
click to drop it at the cursor
would be an easier way of doing things.

And yes, separately, "autojoin" would be very nice -- as would be the ability to generate a pseudo-stack of units matching a specific criterion: give me a Pseudo stack of all the new recruits, for example, then let me drop them by their destination...

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”