tc237
Colonel

Wishlist

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:19 am

Here is a thread for little things we would like the Dev Team to add.

Elements Details Display: Currently the player has to close the display before they can select and view another unit.
Is it possible to leave the display up, while the play views different units, then when finished the player closes the display?

Roster: Indicate that a unit is locked. To distinguish it from unlocked, moveable units. Would help during the early months of the war.

Roster: Ascending/Descending sorting. Example,click once sorts Highest Seniority (working now) Click again, sorts lowest Seniority.

Economics Page: Train and River transport production. No icons to show quantity purchased, is it possible to have little trains and ships, similar to the little factories.

Unit Filter: Some way to toggle on the main map between, No Units-Leaders-Infantry-Arty-etc.... if not than at least a No Units filter, sometimes they hide the cities and surrounding terrain.

Pocus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:46 am

fire away here, yes!

For the same unit, you can cycle thu all elements by clicking on the NATO symbol on the Unit panel, until the last element is seen, it will closes automatically and you can proceed to the next unit.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Frank

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:42 am

Unit Filter: Some way to toggle on the main map between, No Units-Leaders-Infantry-Arty-etc.... if not than at least a No Units filter, sometimes they hide the cities and surrounding terrain.

This is a very good idea because sometimes the map is a little overloaded with units

Frank

marecone

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:59 am

Statistics for battles, units and leaders.
I know we disscused it before. This is just a reminder :siffle:
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

tc237
Colonel

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:49 pm

Message Box: we have to be able to expand it. Looking through 150 messages, 5 lines at a time, scrolling up and down, trying to find a specific message, it gets very tedious.

Pocus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Are you using the filters buttons, as an helper?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jackfox
Sergeant

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:32 pm

It would be great if more of the generals could have their actual portraits rather than the generic silhouette. It's easier to identify units on the map when the actual general is pictured.

SlyBelle
Corporal

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:17 pm

Detailed battle history that can be viewed at any time showing all the battles during the war. This would provide a good feel to the atmosphere. Show things like:

- Name of Battle
- Which units involved
- Which leaders
- Outcome (i.e. who won, number of casulties, etc.)
- etc.

rickd79
Colonel

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:27 pm

1. A more detailed battle report screen (maybe as a pop-up off of the regular battle report screen). Maybe this would give the details on which units suffered what and how. This would give a little more flavor to the engagement. (Assuming the developers can capture some of this data during the calculations of battle results) :indien: For instance:
Hood's Division suffered 2000 casualties in an assault against Howard's Division
McLaws' Division suffered 1500 casualties in defense against Hancock's Division
etc.

2. As mentioned by others, battle history for leaders/units would be fantastic.

3. Maybe a separate history page with a list of battles fought in the war/campaign/scenario. Possibly this could be filtered somehow by importance or size of the engagements (skirmishes, major battles, etc.)

4. I would love to be able to have the option to recruit 2 or 3 regiment Cavalry Brigades, instead of 1 regiment at a time. (Optional horse artillery would be good, too)

SlyBelle
Corporal

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:49 pm

It would be nice also to be able to click on objectives and have the game take you to that place on the map. I sometimes have a hard time finding the city they are referencing.

SlyBelle
Corporal

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Just realized you can go to objective by clicking on flag...great.

Primasprit

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:18 pm

As the shortcut keys 'E' and 'R' skip fixed units, I'd like to have a key to cycle through exactly these ones. :cwboy:

Drew3077
Private

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi

Would it be possibel when the "new units raised" screen is accessed when you click on the list of units that the map auto takes you to new unit on map, instead of having to close the list find the city, action the unit then reopen the "new units raised" screen.

Just my two peneth worth!

Thanks
Drew

Spharv2

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:40 pm

Drew3077 wrote:Hi

Would it be possibel when the "new units raised" screen is accessed when you click on the list of units that the map auto takes you to new unit on map, instead of having to close the list find the city, action the unit then reopen the "new units raised" screen.

Just my two peneth worth!

Thanks
Drew

I considered requesting this, but since units are fixed in place until they are ready for action, and when they are ready, you get a message that you can click on to center the map on the unit, I decided it wasn't necessary. I still find myself trying to click on the newspaper to center on new units though. :)

Drew3077
Private

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:24 pm

I had not thought of that... maybe its time for some sleep :siffle: and a little rest from this game.

Drew

Stonewall

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Would be nice on the battle resolution screen to see how many troops on each side were engaged in addtition to the already present number of casualties.

benpark
Sergeant

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:46 pm

I may have missed this in the manual, but I'd like to be able to raise units from the off board New England states (CT, NH, VT and ME). I've noticed the famous Maine men in the Gettysburg scenario, but it would be great to recruit them in the large full war scenarios.

frank7350
Brigadier General

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:59 pm

unless i've missed something from the last beta, you can recruit them. look closely at your reinforcement screen, they should be there.

swang
Corporal

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:23 am

1) I'd like to see what the rules are for Kentucky

2) I'd like to see, somewhere on the unit screen or the tooltip, what is the max # of basic elements for the unit. (I'm assuming here that if I have 18 elements, then it is not possible to receive an element even if the Brigade TO&E allows it.) This lets me plan on what is the 18 elements that I'll have.

thanks
Jeff

DON
Sergeant

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Allowing the player to choose the name of the save game, and to delete old saved games.

swang
Corporal

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:27 pm

you can do both of those. To change your save game name, ctrl-click the save button (look at the tooltip for this instruction.)

To delete a save game, hit delete when you mouse over a saved game on the load menu.

Jeff

DON
Sergeant

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:23 pm

Thanks for the info!

Adlertag

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:41 pm

tc237 wrote:Elements Details Display: Currently the player has to close the display before they can select and view another unit.
Is it possible to leave the display up, while the play views different units, then when finished the player closes the display?

Great , an idea I have proposed long time ago. Hope you will be heard...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

mayonaise
Conscript

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:35 pm

remove the requirement for division HQ's altogether. personally i think it adds 1000 times over to the micromanagement and makes creating armies extremely tedious. in the full campaign you have to wait until nearly 1862 before you can create, train, and ship division HQ's from washington to the western front. creating and organizing troops across this huge map is work enough without having to micromanage division HQ's into the right places at the right time. simply have them auto-created whenever you create a division out of x- many units. personally i dont think forcing the player to create these HQ's adds anything to play anyway.

i would kill for the ability to create mustering points where all newly created units are automatically ordered to move to pending organization into divisions and corps. doing this and what i mentioned above right now occupies at least 75% of the playing time in every round. streamlining these two items would allow the player to focus more on strategy and greatly reduce tedious micromanagement.

i would very much like a button that would hide all locked/fixed units. this would be a partial solution to the problem above, as you could see on the minimap all useable units, but it would also greatly reduce clutter. hunting for units i can actually use also gets tedious.

i could be wrong, but currently i dont think its possible to add brigades to divisions that are already formed without disbanding them and re-creating them. dragging and dropping a brigade on an existing division should add it to that division.

im okay with long load times if it means better AI, but give us something to look at. maybe display detailed battle descriptions or some time of last turn analysis that is static but has useful information we can look over while we wait.

Jamey
Private

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:36 am

I like the previous posters idea about mustering points where reinforcements would automatically concentrate at.

I actually would like to even go further than that. I have played the tutorials and Shiloh a few times, lots of fun. I started playing a full campaign as the Union and have gottent through the first few turns. That being said, here's my wish:

I would like there to be an option to have the computer handle all creating of reinforcements and replacements for me. Also, have the computer automatically move these reinforcements to a few central mustering points. As the previous poster said, in the full campaign, these tasks add *hugely* to the micromanagement involved. It is pushing the game to the limits of my management abilities.

I know a lot of players like to have total control, but I really just want to be the commander in the field. In fact I would love to be able to turn over everything else to the computer: reinforcements, replacements, finances, loyalty, etc.

To me, there is enough to keep me busy just commanding the armies in the field.

Is this something that could possibly be scripted as events?

Spharv2

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:57 am

mayonaise wrote:i could be wrong, but currently i dont think its possible to add brigades to divisions that are already formed without disbanding them and re-creating them. dragging and dropping a brigade on an existing division should add it to that division.

Just CTRL-click the division and the brigade you want to add then hit merge. The only time this won't work is if the brigade you're trying to merge into the division puts it over the subunit limit.

JB Hood
Corporal

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:05 am

please code mustering points (state capital?) or something like that with the next patch..

i think it´s nearly impossible to focus on each unit (brigade) on this big map playing the long campaign....to much micromanagement

- travelling time is to high in my opinion (rail, river or on foot)

question: tried to create new leader pictures...the new picture showed up correct when you select the unit...but on the map you could not see a leader pic

what did i do wrong?

thanks

FlyingElvis
Private

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Add the shortcut keys to the tooltips.

For example, the tooltip for the Roster says:

"The complete list of your forces, land or naval."

Instead it should read:

"The complete list of your forces, land or naval. (F1)"

arsan

Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi!

A couple ideas i think nobody said before:

- PLEASE!! I need and “undo last” for this times when you merge by mistake two of your corps or armies putting one on top of another!! :bonk: :bonk:

- I asked for it before the game was launched but here i come again: I think its important to use the real numbers of men not only as the casualties on the battle reports. I would like to see them also in:

1 --- In the information of every stack, next to de “power” numbers. I know you could see the number of men in each unit holding ctrl., but please, let the game do the math for us adding all this numbers!

2 --- In the battle results as the total amount of men fighting the engagement. So you can see how big the battle was and how important the casualties.

3 --- In the pop-up you get on enemy stacks. If my scouts can determine which units are there and what is their “power”… Why not an estimate of their numbers??

It would be MUCH MORE immersive! :nuts:

Great game, by the way! :coeurs: :coeurs:
Cheers

cbclimber
Conscript

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:36 pm

First off, love the game

Now my wish list

I wish Army, Div, Eng, Med, Sig, etc...could be selected to be created in the East, West, or Trans Mississippi.

I would like to see a more realistic RR movement time frames. Example...Two Generals (and staff) take 22 days by rail to move from Washington to Cincinnati. That needs to be reduced to 3-5 days for the Union...probably add a few more days for a similar move done by the Confederates. The movement rate of Union troops coming from California to Kansas is way out of wack...I think I moved an artillery unit over and it only took like 20 turns (not a big deal to fix...hopefully).

I would like to see auto promotions for winning generals. Say a bad general wins a few battles, in reality he would get the nod no matter how bad he really was (should make for some interesting decisions for the player down the road). I also could not get the Union general Lyon to promote no matter how many battles he won...it would be nice to groom him for a Corps or Army position.

I would like to see some graphics showing the general effect of Naval blockade of the Confederacy other than the % listed in the blockade boxes...mock Richmond newspaper articles or intelligence report...something to jazz it up a little.

The AI looks to be pretty solid, especially for a ver 1.0...keep tooling it up!

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”