andatiep

Reclaiming the fame of Zaragoza

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 pm

I know the dedicated cartographer and developper are in deserved hollidays. But i have to post it now our i will forget.
I just read some article about the situation in Mexico while the american secession war happens. I think it's important in case of the foreign intervention occured and the two wars form one.

There is a mistake about the leading Mexican general. It should not be Diaz but Zaragoza.

Just to quote the wikipedia (english, the spanish page is much more completed and i don't know why but the French one is almost empty ...maybe nobody wants to know here about a young 33 old general who smash the Napoleon III army :D ) :

"Zaragoza served as Secretary of War from April through October 1861 in the cabinet of President Benito Juárez. He resigned to lead the Mexican Army of the East against invading Europeans."

"When the French forces of Maximillian invaded Mexico, Zaragoza fought them, first engaging the French at Acultzingo on April 28, 1862 where he was forced to withdraw. Zaragoza understood the favorable defensive position outside of the city of Puebla, where, with a force that was smaller and not as well equipped as the French, he beat back repeated French assaults on May 5. The French then retreated to Orizaba."

"Shortly after his famous victory, he contracted malaria, of which he died at the age of thirty-three."

Considering its presidential political support and the glory of its major victory, he would have probably keep the command of the Mexican army for the whole "French intervention war" and so during the period of the ACW.

At that time, Diaz was only a Division general of Zaragoza. And indeed the Mexican army in the game need one : it only have an army HQ which is useless because they can't use the Army Corps...
So i suggest to replace the 3 stars general Diaz with the name of Zaragoza and to add a division general with the name of Diaz.

That would be historically accurated and will restaure the fame of the General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín... :thumbsup:
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”