Jim-NC

Thu May 21, 2009 3:21 am

I downloaded it, unzipped it, but it won't install (it says it encountered an error and needs to close). I am using windows XP.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 21, 2009 10:08 am

Oh! I don't know about beauty being in function vs. form. There are some forms that are very beautiful. Functiolnal beauty is a machiniest concept; not true beauty. t

AndrewKurtz

Thu May 21, 2009 12:48 pm

First of all, I can't wait to use this. Brilliant idea.

However, I did get a crash when I tried to run it against one of my battle logs. If you PM me you e-mail address, I'll be glad to send you the log for testing.

Caccio
Sergeant

Thu May 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Jim-NC:

I'm sorry about the crash. I too have an XP machine, so I doubt the OS is your problem. Installing is pretty easy: Just copy AACW Battle Reporter.exe into the folder where your !BattleLog.txt lives. If you did this and got the error msg when you double-clicked on the program icon, please tell me what the msg said and we'll go from there.

Caccio

arsan

Thu May 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi Caccio!
Thanks for such a great tool! :coeurs:
I definitely have to try it! :w00t:
By the way, do you think it can also work with other AGEOD games battle logs??

Spharv2

Thu May 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Jim-NC wrote:I downloaded it, unzipped it, but it won't install (it says it encountered an error and needs to close). I am using windows XP.

Make sure when you run the program, there actually is a battle log in the folder when you run it or you'll get a crash message. I accidentally put it in my PBEM folder that didn't have one yet, instead of the beta install that does, and I was getting the same message.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Caccio
Sergeant

Thu May 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Jim-NC:

After some tinkering, I think I know what happened. The .exe in the zip-file isn't an installation program; it's the actual utility, and as Spharv2 says, it will crash if it doesn't find a battle log in the same folder. Thanks for bringing this to my attn. In the next version I'll include an explicit error msg so that at least folks will understand what's wrong.

Caccio

Caccio
Sergeant

Thu May 21, 2009 4:11 pm

arsan wrote:Hi Caccio!
Thanks for such a great tool! :coeurs:
I definitely have to try it! :w00t:
By the way, do you think it can also work with other AGEOD games battle logs??

I don't know. I have only AACW; it's taken me almost a year (of real time) to chase the Yankees back across the Ohio River to where they belong. However, I'm sending you my email address in a PM. If you send me a battle log from one of the other games, I'll figure out how much I have to change my source code to make the utility work.

arsan

Thu May 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Got your PM! :)

I will try it this afternoon with other games battle logs to see what happens :blink: :D
And will send you some WIA and NCP battle logs examples so you can take a look at them :thumbsup:
I guess they shouldn't be too different... at least the NCP ones.
WIA don't use divisions or proper corps, just normal stacks so maybethere is something missing in its battle logs.
Regards!

Jim-NC

Thu May 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Caccio wrote:Jim-NC:

After some tinkering, I think I know what happened. The .exe in the zip-file isn't an installation program; it's the actual utility, and as Spharv2 says, it will crash if it doesn't find a battle log in the same folder. Thanks for bringing this to my attn. In the nexxt version I'll include an explicit error msg so that at least folks will understand what's wrong.

Caccio

Oops. :bonk: :bonk: I did think it was an installation program. :bonk: Now I will try it the correct way.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Caccio
Sergeant

Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:First of all, I can't wait to use this. Brilliant idea.

However, I did get a crash when I tried to run it against one of my battle logs. If you PM me you e-mail address, I'll be glad to send you the log for testing.

Would you please tell me what version of the game you're using? I sure hope it isn't the latest, because the Battle Log you sent me is in a different, more condensed format than those generated by my game. In short, it doesn't have all the information needed by my program to work properly.

arsan

Thu May 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Caccio wrote:Would you please tell me what version of the game you're using? I sure hope it isn't the latest, because the Battle Log you sent me is in a different, more condensed format than those generated by my game. In short, it doesn't have all the information needed by my program to work properly.

Hi

Maybe Andrew forgot to enable full debug game option??
The "no debug" battle logs are much less detailed than the full debug ones.

By the way I have been trying the program on the other games and it seems to work almost perfectly. :thumbsup:

On NCP it worked great on a huge pseudo Waterloo battle.
On WIA it works right on one battle but CTD on the another. :confused:
Both were small scale engagements
I will send you by email the NCP and WIA battle logs so you can check ithem :)

The only "problem" so far (besides the CTD) is that both sides are always called CSA and USA no matter if they are French vs Englsih or Prussians :D
No big deal
Cheers!

AndrewKurtz

Thu May 21, 2009 9:31 pm

arsan wrote:Maybe Andrew forgot to enable full debug game option??

Maybe he did :) :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Caccio
Sergeant

Thu May 21, 2009 9:39 pm

Three cheers for the Spanish Ambassador! Frankly, I was in a huge funk fearing that my utility was obsolete before launch.

I'll figure out why it's not working in the WIA and see if I can fix that.

I'll make you a deal: I'll change all the side references in the other games if you'll translate my output strings into Espanol. Then I can go international with an Esp edition!

slimey.rock
Major

Thu May 21, 2009 10:37 pm

Hey great program, Caccio :thumbsup: . I love it already. I just have one question. When the report says "average base chance of XX% and an average final chance of XX%", what exactly is the base and final chance?

arsan

Thu May 21, 2009 10:40 pm

Caccio wrote:I'll make you a deal: I'll change all the side references in the other games if you'll translate my output strings into Espanol. Then I can go international with an Esp edition!

Mmmm... Let me think... how many thousands output strings are we talking about??' :wacko: :D

MVDH
Private

Thu May 21, 2009 11:49 pm

Hey Caccio:

Great work! Just installed it and wow, the battle report detail is wonderful. Thanks again for all of your hard work and your willingness to share it with all of us. :thumbsup:

Mark

Caccio
Sergeant

Fri May 22, 2009 12:21 am

slimey.rock wrote:Hey great program, Caccio :thumbsup: . I love it already. I just have one question. When the report says "average base chance of XX% and an average final chance of XX%", what exactly is the base and final chance?

I tried to explain that in the Readme, but essentially the base chance depends on the firing element's offensive or defensive fire value, as appropriate, unless the range is zero, making the combat an assault. Then it depends on the contestants' assault and discipline values. The final chance takes into account all of the other factors that affect the shooter's chances, and is the value to which the computer's die roll is compared to determine whether there is a hit. IMO, the base chance doesn't mean much in itself, except to demonstrate the clear, historically-accurate superiority of a defensive posture. Instead, look at the difference between the base and final chances. If it's large, there are other factors at work that you need to investigate to understand your battle's outcome.

Caccio
Sergeant

Fri May 22, 2009 12:28 am

arsan wrote:Mmmm... Let me think... how many thousands output strings are we talking about??' :wacko: :D

Actually, you've seen at least 90% of them in any battle report you've produced. But after my prior post, I realized how stupid it was. If there's already a Spanish version of the game, all of its BattleLogs will also be in Espanol, which (as my Southern ancestors used to say) is a very different kettle of fish to fry.

arsan

Fri May 22, 2009 7:33 am

Hi!

The Spanish version of the game still generate battlelogs on English.
In fact the reports i send to you by email were done with the game on Spanish ;)
Whats is translated is the in game texts (tooltips etc..) but the "inner workings" of the engine seems to be in English only (hopefully they are not in French! :D )

dooya

Fri May 22, 2009 10:34 am

Caccio wrote:[...] I'll make you a deal: I'll change all the side references in the other games if you'll translate my output strings into Espanol. Then I can go international with an Esp edition!
If there aren't too many strings, you can sent them to me too and I will provide you with a German translation.
No quote - No bullshit!

Nikel

Fri May 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Caccio, here is an icon for your application if you like it.

Just a picture of an old book ;)

Can test only in Vista, so perhaps will not work on XP

[ATTACH]7908[/ATTACH]
Attachments
AACW Battle Report.jpg
AACW Battle Report.zip
(145.08 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Caccio
Sergeant

Sat May 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks, Nikel, this looks sharp. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll include your icon in the next version of the Battle Reporter.

Pocus

Mon May 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Can you attach your latest version in RAR format here (or in the first post of your thread?)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Caccio
Sergeant

Mon May 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Pocus wrote:Can you attach your latest version in RAR format here (or in the first post of your thread?)

I've put the newest version (1.1) in the first post on this thread. It has some bug fixes (hopefully I haven't added any new bugs), so people who downloaded the original should replace it with this one. The Readme also has some additions.

Pocus

Thu May 28, 2009 4:31 pm

I tried it and I find the utility rather cool! I like the summary for Army and division, before giving the stats for each elements. For VGN we would like to provide such kind of information, with color icons and Nato symbols to embellish the log, but that's the same idea basically as what you did.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Caccio
Sergeant

Thu May 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks, Pocus. Arsan and I are adapting the utility for WIA and NCP. If you've no objection, we'll post it in those forums when we finish testing.

GustFire
Sergeant

BR with WiA

Thu May 28, 2009 5:27 pm

Caccio wrote:Jim-NC:

After some tinkering, I think I know what happened. The .exe in the zip-file isn't an installation program; it's the actual utility, and as Spharv2 says, it will crash if it doesn't find a battle log in the same folder. Thanks for bringing this to my attn. In the next version I'll include an explicit error msg so that at least folks will understand what's wrong.

Caccio

Hiya!

I had the exact same problem as Jim-NC.
I put the WiA battle log file in the same folder as the BR, and then tried to run it.
But I got an error message from MS Windows, saying there was conflict with another program, but I wasn't running any other program at the time, not even WiA.

So I'm not sure how to proceed; advice welcomed. :)

Caccio
Sergeant

Thu May 28, 2009 6:11 pm

GustFire:

I apologize for your frustration; perhaps my previous post was confusing. Arsan and I are working on adapting the Battle Reporter for WIA, but we're not done yet. I'll send you my email address by PM. If you send back to me a copy of your WIA BattleLog, I'll see if it works on our latest Beta and let you know.

Rafiki

Fri May 29, 2009 8:47 am

Caccio wrote:Thanks, Pocus. Arsan and I are adapting the utility for WIA and NCP. If you've no objection, we'll post it in those forums when we finish testing.

By all means, post it :thumbsup:

I also imagine that if you need help testing, you'll get a good response by asking for volunteers here :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”