Tory Whig
Conscript

Is it possible to capture a warship?

Wed May 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Greetings,

First let me say what a great strategy game you have developed. It has kept me busy for hours when I am not at work.

Anyway, my question relates to capturing a warship or fleet. In my current game I am playing for the British side and being very aggressive. They (The American and French Side) have few major cities left or strategic towns for that matter. I have attacked the French Fort on Saint Domingue in the French West Indies with a very large force led by Sir Haldimand. We are besieging the Fort. Apparently the French don’t like this and have dispatched a large fleet (Cesar, Hercule, and Destin) led by Amiral Comte de Barras to deal with us. My warships have severely wounded the Cesar and Hercule in a sea battle and they are in port in the West Indies. I want these ships. I have already captured many Bateaux, Transports, and even the Liberty. How do I capture these warships? What does my posture have to be (assault, offensive, defensive, or passive)? What does their posture have to be?

I know many ships were captured during sea battles and used by the opposing side in later combat. In fact during the Battle of the Saintesthe Cesar blew up after being taken by the British. Can we capture warships?

Thanks for the help! Looking forward to many more enjoyable hours of Birth of America.

Stwa
Colonel

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:34 am

Tory Whig wrote:Greetings,

First let me say what a great strategy game you have developed. It has kept me busy for hours when I am not at work.

The hallmark of a truely GREAT game is one that keeps you busy for hours at home and work!! :nuts:

Pocus

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:42 am

You can capture ships in harbors but you can't during battles at sea. Something to be considered though.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:42 am

This was not so frequent, mostly only in battles which went as far as boarding...in the DB, the capture percentage chance exists...we lack the code to do so...may be a basic 'simple' stuff, saying like 20% of "sunk" enemy ships are indeed captured... :indien:

Return to “Birth of America”