Turbo823
Captain

Help with BOA AI settings. What settings do you use for a challenging game?

Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi,

I just started playing BOA and find the AI settings to be confusing. The 1.09 manual I got doesn't explain these settings well. There is quite a bit of interesting flexibility with the AI settings and I am interested in getting a challenging game without the difficulty going way over the top.

1) Would appreciate you sharing which AI settings you use.

2) The British side seems a bit more difficult for the AI? Is that the case?

3) Any way to stop the silliness the Yanks have with Canada? I mean they sent large forces up there when I was overrunning New England.

Thanks!

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Challenging Settings

Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Turbo823,
For a challenging game I use the most difficult settings except for aggressiveness which I keep at normal. I give the AI the most help for fog of war. The most difficult settings, and more time to think, tend to free up the AI's frozen units early on so the AI can be more active from the git. The AI is then very active and has a supply cheat that allows it to ignore supply problems we would experience.

The British AI isn't very good because it doesn't defend Boston properly and when it loses that city and doesn't have New York it doesn't get all those big reinforcements in 1776 where they need to be. They end up in Nova Scotia where the AI doesn't use sea movement to get them to the main show. If the AI moves them by land to Quebec it loses huge numbers of them to supply attrition. British units in the Carribean are stuck there.

The American AI either foolishly attacks Boston very early on or goes rampaging into Canada. The American AI shouldn't have such an emphasis on Canada early on in the alternate campaign game nor should it be attacking the indians so early. It's a pity the AI's can't be made to hang tight and play defense, protecting the important cities that yield replacements and reinforcements.
Omnius

Turbo823
Captain

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Omnius wrote:Turbo823,
For a challenging game I use the most difficult settings except for aggressiveness which I keep at normal. I give the AI the most help for fog of war. The most difficult settings, and more time to think, tend to free up the AI's frozen units early on so the AI can be more active from the git. The AI is then very active and has a supply cheat that allows it to ignore supply problems we would experience.

The British AI isn't very good because it doesn't defend Boston properly and when it loses that city and doesn't have New York it doesn't get all those big reinforcements in 1776 where they need to be. They end up in Nova Scotia where the AI doesn't use sea movement to get them to the main show. If the AI moves them by land to Quebec it loses huge numbers of them to supply attrition. British units in the Carribean are stuck there.

The American AI either foolishly attacks Boston very early on or goes rampaging into Canada. The American AI shouldn't have such an emphasis on Canada early on in the alternate campaign game nor should it be attacking the indians so early. It's a pity the AI's can't be made to hang tight and play defense, protecting the important cities that yield replacements and reinforcements.
Omnius

Thank you for your excellent reply.

Return to “Birth of America”