stejones82
Conscript

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Greetings ...

As an active member of The Colonial Campaigns Club, which emphasizes the HPS Early AMerican War series, I saw some posts regarding BOA which got me interested. This game has been added to the club so that games registered result in players receiving points toward club recognitions.

I do hope you all would come and check out the forum:

http://www.wargame.ch/board/ccc/default.asp

While our club is heavily weighted toward the HPS games, the more BOA-ers who come and join, the more this game will become popular, and the more likely the long time players at CCC will be persuaded to buy and play BOA and then WIA. :sourcil:

Cheers!

muddymonkey77
Captain

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:03 pm

What game are you playing?

stejones82
Conscript

Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:32 pm

muddymonkey77 wrote:What game are you playing?

The Colonial Campaigns Club plays primarily the games by HPS in their Early American Wars Series by John Tiller:

Campaign 1776
The French & Indian War
And their brand spanking new title: The Mexican-American War (including the Texas Revolution :nuts: :coeurs: :cwboy :)

The club mainpage is:

http://www.wargame.ch/1776/index.html

and the publisher HPS is:

http://67.155.107.227/index.htm

But within the last year we added Birth of America, and I am certain we will include Wars in America ..... once available :siffle:

muddymonkey77
Captain

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:56 am

These games are $50.00 each? I'll get them if they are worth it. What's your opinion?

Also, look into a game called "For Liberty"
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=336

It should be straight up your alley.

American Conquest series of games are also good for this time period.

(Birth of America is by far my favorite)

Another good game for this time period is, Age of Sail II. It is older, but if you get a bunch of people playing it, it is a blast! Great Colonial/1812 era naval game!

stejones82
Conscript

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:46 pm

[quote="muddymonkey77"]These games are $50.00 each? I'll get them if they are worth it. What's your opinion? QUOTE]

An alternative source is NWS Online:

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/eaamba.html

Stock price is $USD 33. This is also where I purchased BOA and am hoping that soon they will have Napoleon Campaign available. No slight to AGEOD, of course, just that the blasted euro is kicking our boo-hiny!

The engine is different from the scope of BOA in that it is a company level simulation. Not only is my opinion of the games VERY favorable, but the system is tried and true with an extensive history of support and response behind it. The Tiller games extend into many realms ... Nappy, ACW, Modern, WWII, etc.

The CCC is a mix of enthusiasts and casual gamers who take on the personality of the era in various degrees, but as I understand, much more lightheartedly than say those in the Civil War era clubs, or even the Napoleon-ites!! We have a great deal of fun and the competition is keen, though usually in an atmosphere of 'play for the fun and cameraderie' rather than just for victory at all costs ... though I usually get my derriere handed to me on a platter :p leure: ... but I occassionally get my licks in :niark:

It is my humble privilege to have achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel with the title Baron of Rhode Island (a battle where I achieved a noteworthy victory) and have recently been assigned command of the Right Wing Corps of the British Army in America, Marquess the Lord Kingston, commanding (who lurks here under a different moniker :tournepas ) Formerly, I served as the Provincial Brigade Commander and my first billeting was as Regimental Commander of the 23d Foot, the Royal Welch Fusiliers. Ahh, but I do miss Billy at times, but there is the price of upward mobility!! :niark: Here is the link to the British Army CIC:

http://home.arcor.de/dierk_walter/CCC_BR/Index.htm

If you were to buy one to start, I think either Campaign 1776, as it was the original of the series and most all members have it (not to worry, many, many expansion scenarios crafted to extend the playability!) or my favorite, The French & Indian War. Or perhaps best to jump in with the cutting edge and get the just-released Mexican American War ... which I do not yet have, but pay-eth day-eth approacheth! New features, new unit types and an almost ground-breaking look at a conflict much neglected by the gaming industry.

BTW I do not work for or receive anything from HPS (except hours and hours of gaming satisfaction :nuts: ) and I apreciate AGEOD's patience for allowing me to tout this club. I would really like to see more people in the CCC who play BOA. If you only have BOA and enjoy PBEM ... please come and give us a try! You can join any one of four armies: The Continental (with an 1812 department); The British Army; The French who fight for His Most Christian Majesty; or the Native alliance (for those who look good in loin cloths, and no, kilts do NOT count! :sourcil: )

BTW muddy ... interested in a game of BOA by email??

Steve

stejones82
Conscript

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:50 pm

BTW, I used to have Age of Sail II, Buccaneers bounty (or something like that) but I fear it will not run on my new Vista machine so I have not loaded it up. Never played against a human and the AI was pretty easy to beat. But still, for a quickie 15 minute mental break, I really enjoyed AOS!

muddymonkey77
Captain

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:39 pm

stejones82 wrote:BTW, I used to have Age of Sail II, Buccaneers bounty (or something like that) but I fear it will not run on my new Vista machine so I have not loaded it up. Never played against a human and the AI was pretty easy to beat. But still, for a quickie 15 minute mental break, I really enjoyed AOS!

I used to belong to a group of Age of Sail enthusiasts. We would play AOSII for hours and hours. We would use 18th century naval tactics and would stay in naval character. It was awesome to see 20v20 fleet battles. I was, a very good frigate commander. I was undefeated in battle with ships equal in strength to me! It was a great time! Too bad not many play these days.

And I will think about getting these games you mention...

d0mbo
Private

Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:37 pm

What kind of skill level is needed for a player to join?

Let's take me as an example: no skill.

Regards,

d0mbo.

stejones82
Conscript

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:21 pm

d0mbo wrote:What kind of skill level is needed for a player to join?

Let's take me as an example: no skill.

Regards,

d0mbo.

That is me, too!

There are some crackerjacks, to be sure, but I think most are casual gamers. I have never experirnced the 'ladder' clubs, but I understand that our CCC is much more relaxed.

I have found four or five excellent opponents with whom I enjoy emailing as well as exchanging the turns.

As much as I enjoy winning, I enjoy the cameraderie and interaction even more. Give us a try!

Return to “Birth of America”