jkk
Private

supply and weather

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:57 pm

Okay, I decided that one of the best ways to learn to play the Colonials was to play as the British, because then I could learn what annoys the British most. The heart and soul of maintaining initiative is to find a way to 'be the problem.'

On supply: I read the rules but I'd like to try and reduce this to a straightforward rule of thumb. Say you want an army of four depleted regiments to rest (passive mode), recuperate, absorb replacements, resupply, and generally stay away from battle and take no further damage no matter the weather. What is the minimum supply level town you want to park them in?

On weather: I am finding that in snow weather conditions battle is still quite possible but becomes much riskier (makes sense). Siege is problematic because it's likely to hurt the besiegers more than the besieged. Above all, I find that snow is a time to hunker down in well-supplied towns and avoid maneuver to the extent possible--but not to the extent of throwing away opportunity. Would you agree?

jkk
Private

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:18 pm

Just thought I would bump this, as I believe it's a good question.

PhilThib

Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:35 pm

You have made a sound analysis :cwboy: :sourcil:

jkk
Private

Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:42 am

PhilThib wrote:You have made a sound analysis :cwboy: :sourcil:

Thank you! The question I'm still pondering is:

On supply: I read the rules but I'd like to try and reduce this to a straightforward rule of thumb. Say you want an army of four depleted regiments to rest (passive mode), recuperate, absorb replacements, resupply, and generally stay away from battle and take no further damage no matter the weather. What is the minimum supply level town you want to park them in?

What I need to be able to do is look at a force and make a sensible assessment: what size city does this force need to reach in order to ride out the winter without severe attrition. So I picked an army of four depleted regiments as a sample size because that's pretty common in the game.

Jabberwock

Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:58 am

Most regiments, depleted or not, will use 2 supply/turn. Add a little to compensate for weather.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

jkk
Private

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:09 am

Jabberwock wrote:Most regiments, depleted or not, will use 2 supply/turn. Add a little to compensate for weather.

So that would mean that a force of four regiments slightly strains a town with a supply level of 8, at least in winter? If that's so, I'm definitely going to have to scatter my people some. Can't be helped, I guess.

Jabberwock

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:15 am

Yes, ... that is ... if the regiments use the same amount of supplies as in ACW. :siffle: I must remind myself occasionally to read more than just the last post in a thread. :innocent:

A town that produces 8 supplies, which already has a few accumulated, would be ideal.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

lodilefty

Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 am

jkk wrote:So that would mean that a force of four regiments slightly strains a town with a supply level of 8, at least in winter? If that's so, I'm definitely going to have to scatter my people some. Can't be helped, I guess.

Be careful not to confuse 'supply chips' with 'supply points'
From the manual:

Supply is generated in amounts expressed in supply chips (SC), which come in two varieties: a full SC holds 5 supply points and 2 ammos points, while a basic SC only holds 5 supply points.
- The countryside of a region generates 0-4 basic SC to unbesieged units (depending on civilization level, weather and looted status). When enemy armies co-exist in the same region, the region’s supply is distributed proportionally to the percentage of military control.
- Level 1 cities and Indian villages generate 1 basic SC.
- Unbesieged level 2 (or +) cities, forts, depots and unblockaded harbors generate full SCs as follows (cumulative):
- 1 / city level
- 1 / port level
- 5 if there is a fort in the region
- 10 if there is a depot in the region
SC do not accumulate from one turn to another: they only serve to replenish regiments and supply wagons. Any surplus is lost.

So you can see that using 'city size' may not be enough to understand supply. :bonk:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “Birth of America”