bongokid
Civilian

two questions from a newcomer

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:48 am

Hi,

I've just arrived in the world of AGEOD wargames and bought BOA as a starter for ACW.

I'd like to underline that i'am not a wargame veteran, nor a history buff, and will probably be getting the hang of BOA very progressively :)

now my questions :

- What would be a good list of scenarios for a beginner, apparts from 'carolins'
- I think I saw something about 'frontage' (the number of units that can combat simultaneously) in a thread but can't find it anymore. There was a file providing these frontage values for the different terrains
- when there are several units in a region, and no leader, they fare better without being stacked (lesser malus) but staying separate, right ?

well that was three,

thanks in advance,

Jérôme

Rafiki

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:57 am

Hi bongokid, and welcome to the forums Image

I'm not too familiar with the BoA scenarios, so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

When it comes to frontage, I wouldn't care too much about the exact values; relatively speaking, they are what you expect them to be; high in clear terrain, low when in the mountains or for fortresses.

AFAIK, having your units stacked separately will indeed reduce the command malus, but you will risk that they won't come to eachother's aid if they get engaged in combat.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:06 am

Hi Jerome,

Welcome to the Forum.

- What would be a good list of scenarios for a beginner, apparts from 'carolins'

IMHO: The Tories and Indians scenario is quite fun, the French and Indian War is also simpler to handle (less units, no population support rule).

- I think I saw something about 'frontage' (the number of units that can combat simultaneously) in a thread but can't find it anymore. There was a file providing these frontage values for the different terrains

I don't think such a file exists, because it would be misleading as many rules have an influence on it. EG: irregulars and arties have a separate frontage.
The only figure I know are for regular troops:
Wilderness: 2 (8 for irregulars?)
Fort: 4
Plains: 8 (not sure about this one)

This should give you the rough idea.

- when there are several units in a region, and no leader, they fare better without being stacked (lesser malus) but staying separate, right ?

In nominal yes, however they might be delayed if commited in a battle and a superior force could be defeated separately by its more concentrated opponent this way.

My rulethumb: in BoA, use common sense... :indien:

well that was three,

The three main weapons of the Spanish Inquisition are... :niark:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

bongokid
Civilian

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Thanks for your answers.

I'll try to use common sense, hoping I have enough of it :indien:

Cheers,

Jérôme

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Recommend Montcalm Scenario, then 1759. When you are ready for a big campaign go with the French and Indian War. No loyalty to deal with and fewer numbers of units to handle. For the Revolution try Yorktown and then work your way up to the bigger campaigns. Have fun.

orca
Lieutenant

Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:37 am

Montcalm is still a pretty big scenario. Try some smaller ones first. I like The Invasion of Canada 1775 after the Carolinas. It's a simple scenario, the Brits have to defend what they have and the rebels have to try to take everything with stronger forces. The strategy is straightforward, the trick is the weather and supplies. One word of warning - the US cannot win automatically, he only gets one regular unit and so can only control one of the objective cities. He can win on points when played well.

Return to “Birth of America”