iroquois
Private

for you who is the best book for the french and indian war????

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:18 pm

guys, for you who is the best book for the french and indian war????

i read:

montcalm and wolfe
crucible of war
empires at war
leading by example
and others...

for me francis parkman, montcalm and wolfe is far the best, but he focuses only in the french and indian war...crucible of war, is a great book but parkman surpasses anderson in the narrative style. leading by example from bob bearor is great, for the canadian side and about " la petit guerre"...

WallysWorld
Captain

Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:29 pm

I enjoyed "The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America" by Walter Borneman.

Not too long of a book but went into pretty good detail about the war in North America and a little about the conflict in other parts of the world. The book also discussed very well Pitt's decision to make North America the top priority for England.

iroquois
Private

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:03 pm

WallysWorld wrote:I enjoyed "The French and Indian War: Deciding the Fate of North America" by Walter Borneman.

Not too long of a book but went into pretty good detail about the war in North America and a little about the conflict in other parts of the world. The book also discussed very well Pitt's decision to make North America the top priority for England.

oh man...you never read montcalm and wolf? from francis parkman...if not...please read it!!!!

Dale H
Private

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:45 am

Among the best books I have read on any subject is Fred Anderson's The Crucible Of War about the French & Indian War on the North American continent. It is magnificent. Don't take my word for it though :siffle: .

I have read Parkman also & it is good too.

iroquois
Private

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Dale H wrote:Among the best books I have read on any subject is Fred Anderson's The Crucible Of War about the French & Indian War on the North American continent. It is magnificent. Don't take my word for it though :siffle: .

I have read Parkman also & it is good too.

i read Crucible Of War to...is a good book but short in campaigns description.
"leading by example" is a good serie of books, by bob bearor. it focuses on la petit guerre and the exploits of the french canadians in the wilderness.

Hobbes

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:33 pm

I really enjoyed White Devil by Stephen Brumwell. A historical adventure story - great narrative.

Cheers, Chris

WallysWorld
Captain

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:46 pm

iroquois wrote:oh man...you never read montcalm and wolf? from francis parkman...if not...please read it!!!!

I'll have to look for this book.

Right now I'm reading "The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution 1763-1789" by Robert Middlekauf which is almost like a tome of the causes and details of the revolution.

iroquois
Private

Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:35 am

WallysWorld wrote:I'll have to look for this book.

Right now I'm reading "The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution 1763-1789" by Robert Middlekauf which is almost like a tome of the causes and details of the revolution.

there is nothing like montcalm and wolfe...the best book on the subject. you can download the book from the internet, is available.

Le Ricain

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:16 am

'Crucible of War' is an excellent book for an overview of the war.

Years ago I read Allan Eckert's 'Narratives of America' series which covers the Indian wars of the colonial and early USA period. These books really are excellent and after twenty plus years I still remember them as you can tell by this post.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

iroquois
Private

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Le Ricain wrote:'Crucible of War' is an excellent book for an overview of the war.

Years ago I read Allan Eckert's 'Narratives of America' series which covers the Indian wars of the colonial and early USA period. These books really are excellent and after twenty plus years I still remember them as you can tell by this post.

i agree with you, crucible of war is an excellent book, but for me, montcalm and wolfe is from another galaxy...from Allan Eckert i read "Tecumseh, a sorrow in our hearts"..."A dark and bloody river"..."wilderness war"...and "The wilderness empire".

All they are good books but francis parkman is the Maradona of all...in my opinion, neither Anderson, nor Eckert, can standing side by side with parkman...so please if you didn't read his books get a look now!

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:31 am

iroquois wrote:guys, for you who is the best book for the french and indian war????

i read:

montcalm and wolfe
crucible of war
empires at war
leading by example
and others...

for me francis parkman, montcalm and wolfe is far the best, but he focuses only in the french and indian war...crucible of war, is a great book but parkman surpasses anderson in the narrative style. leading by example from bob bearor is great, for the canadian side and about " la petit guerre"...

I'll repost from my AAR 1st page:

Montcalm and Wolfe; The French and Indian War by Francis Parkman
First published in 1884, a wealth of information. Am currently rereading this a second time and still finding new things in it.
The French and Indian War; Deciding the Fate of North America by Walter R. Borneman
An excellent introductory volume to the war, its causes and the personalities behind the scenes. Covers all the bases in a short work.
The War That Made America; A Short History of the French and Indian War by Fred Anderson
The one I started with. Good, short, and concise. Made me want to learn more...and read his other book on the subject...
Crucible of War; The Seven Years War and the Fate of Empire in North America, 1754-1766 by Fred Anderson
A Monster work covering everything, Indian Policies and negotiations, Inter-colonial rivalries, Politics both here and in Europe, the Carribean...etc. I would compare this to David Chandler's The Campaigns of Napoleon due to the depth involved.
Redcoats; The British Soldier and War in the Americas, 1755-1763 by Stephen Brumwell
More of an 'Ambrose style' than the others. Tells the story of the regular soldier in war.
Empires Collide; The French and Indian War 1754-63 edited by Ruth Sheppard.
Seems to be a conglomeration of the Osprey Campaign books on the War. Gives some OoB's and is also a good visual introduction to the individual campaigns of the war.
Louisbourg 1758 & Ticonderoga 1758 Osprey/Praeger books by Rene Chartland
Quebec 1759 Osprey/ Praeger book by Stuart Reid
All three give excellent coverage of their campaigns and excellent OoB's.

I would say if you are just starting your education on the French and Indian War, go with Borneman's The French and Indian War; Deciding the Fate of North America. It hit's all of the high notes and will give one a good feel for where one is when reading the other, more detailed works. Also if one can get a video copy of The War That Made America from PBS then do so.

iroquois
Private

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:48 pm

lightsfantastic wrote:I'll repost from my AAR 1st page:

Montcalm and Wolfe; The French and Indian War by Francis Parkman
First published in 1884, a wealth of information. Am currently rereading this a second time and still finding new things in it.
The French and Indian War; Deciding the Fate of North America by Walter R. Borneman
An excellent introductory volume to the war, its causes and the personalities behind the scenes. Covers all the bases in a short work.
The War That Made America; A Short History of the French and Indian War by Fred Anderson
The one I started with. Good, short, and concise. Made me want to learn more...and read his other book on the subject...
Crucible of War; The Seven Years War and the Fate of Empire in North America, 1754-1766 by Fred Anderson
A Monster work covering everything, Indian Policies and negotiations, Inter-colonial rivalries, Politics both here and in Europe, the Carribean...etc. I would compare this to David Chandler's The Campaigns of Napoleon due to the depth involved.
Redcoats; The British Soldier and War in the Americas, 1755-1763 by Stephen Brumwell
More of an 'Ambrose style' than the others. Tells the story of the regular soldier in war.
Empires Collide; The French and Indian War 1754-63 edited by Ruth Sheppard.
Seems to be a conglomeration of the Osprey Campaign books on the War. Gives some OoB's and is also a good visual introduction to the individual campaigns of the war.
Louisbourg 1758 & Ticonderoga 1758 Osprey/Praeger books by Rene Chartland
Quebec 1759 Osprey/ Praeger book by Stuart Reid
All three give excellent coverage of their campaigns and excellent OoB's.

I would say if you are just starting your education on the French and Indian War, go with Borneman's The French and Indian War; Deciding the Fate of North America. It hit's all of the high notes and will give one a good feel for where one is when reading the other, more detailed works. Also if one can get a video copy of The War That Made America from PBS then do so.

uau! like me you enjoy the french and indian war period. i read all the books you show, minus The War That Made America. just now i expect from amazoon, the colonial soldier in canada.

Return to “Birth of America”