Ian 1963
Conscript

Soldiers Sugar & Sea power

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:26 pm

All the interest in matters Napoleonic in the AGEOD forums has made me wonder it its going to be possible to use the Caribbean section of the “much bigger map” that is going to shop with BOA will make it possible to modd the Campaigns fought there during the 1790’s and 1800 as part of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars, including the conflict in Haiti.

Island hopping, navel warfare jungle skirmishing sieges and horrendous attrition rates for European troops during the “sickly season”. All of which should suit the games engine very well. Anyone wanting more details in the 1790’s should consult volumes III and IV of Sir John Fortescue’s “History of the British Army (his later volumes cover the 1800’s but I have not got round to buying / reading those yet so cannot comment) and Michael Duffy’s much more recent book Soldiers, Sugar and Seapower: The British Expeditions to the West Indies and the War Against Revolutionary France, published by Clarendon Press in 30 Jul 1987. The two authors hold diametrically opposing views on the relevance of the campaign although they agree substantially about details, and both give good OOB info

OOB’s and uniform details are also well covered in two Osprey titles “Napoleons Oversees Army” and “British Forces in the West Indies 1793–1815”.

Ian
:niark:

Adam the VIth
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:55 am

Well Ian, no one else seemed interested, but I think it would be a great addition for BOA 2. The fact that Pocus did not respond makes me wonder if you're sharing a crystal ball with him! :sourcil:

Return to “Birth of America”