barbarossa0067
Civilian

BoA Supply Depots... HELP! ;D

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:46 pm

Okay. Love the system. :niark:

One problem. I am having a hard, hard time locating depots on the map, which is a bit odd, given the fact that some people have called them the "most important units in the game."

I just looked through the town descriptions again (with images) provided in the instruction manuals and have discovered that this doesn't help much either. I think depots may be a small white building that moves from place to place depending on the type of settlement. But in one image which mentions a depot as being present, I don't see it.

On top of that, after having read the rules book, read the "living rules", played a full campaign game as Colonies against the British AI (and winning by capturing ALL of the objectives, major and minor EXCEPT for Fort Detroit), I still don't have a clue as to how depots work or function really.

Any help here? I would like to master these before I take to the field in a few PBEM games. Thanks!

I would recommend that for the "Gold" edition, that there be a simple symbol placed in the provence if there is a depot present so that players need not sift through so much visual clutter (albeit very BEAUTIFUL clutter) to figure it out. I have seen screen shots of the Napoleon game coming out (the Austerlitz AAR) and think it may use a more intuitive graphic representation which allows players to tell at a glance if there is a depot present. But like I said, any help on understanding depots, their effects, and how to visually locate them, would be appreciated.

Chris

P.S. Detroit was a TOUGH nut for me to crack. My first expedition leaving from Pittsburgh didn't have enough troops and was defeated upon arrival. Its remnants disappeared in winter. My second expedition consisted of most of the great generals of the continental army AND siege artillery, with about 6 infantry units and a TON of supply wagons. My mistake? They departed from Baltimore in April. By the time they hit the Ohio it was fall. And then came winter. They died to a man trying to force their way into the small indian village south of Fort Detroit. :8o: The third expedition, a bateaux expedition from captured Quebec failed just before the official campaign game ended because I didn't realize I needed to control ALL of the forts along the water way into Lake Erie to get through (is this really historical?)

Hobbes

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:10 am

Hi barb, somebody once posted this attachment - is it any help?
Let me know if not and I'll add an explanation later.

That didn't upload - here is a link :-
http://www.leqg.org/doc/boa/#SS

Cheers, Chris

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Supply Depots

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm

barbarossa0067,
Supply depots provide major amounts of supply, like big cities do. You can resupply large formations at a depot and keep them supplied. If defending a supply depot it is a good thing to scrap the depot to keep the enemy from capturing it and then quickly resupplying the attacking army. They also are good for resupplyiong large fleets. They make a good supply base from which to mount campaigns in the nearby regions and then to come back to to resupply. Captured supply wagons make great candidates for turning into supply depots.
Omnius

Return to “Birth of America”