Quercus
Conscript

Starting 1776 Campaign as the British

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:50 am

I'm a couple of turns into my first campaign, showing Johnny Colonial the error of his ways, what?, and i have a couple of questions.

1) has anyone managed to catch Benedict Arnold's army outside Quebec? I ordered a sortie with aggressive posture by the unfixed garrison on the first turn, and he still escaped (currently besieging Camden, blast him)

2) what determines where reinforcements arrive? I was delighted to see lots of Germans arrive, less pleased that they arrived at Quebec from where it'll take them 6 months to walk anywhere on the front line. Hooray for the Royal Navy and its transport capability.

3) does anyone bother standing regulars in areas without structures to try and change the loyalty and control? Obviously the loyalty and control maps have islands of decent loyal town-dwelling citizens surrounded by hinterlands of rebel areas: not only does it make the map look untidy, but I'd like to know what's going on there. :siffle:

4) When I reclaimed New York for His Majesty, lots of loyalist militia popped up. Is this scripted?

5) I seem to remember that fleets help in sieging coastal cities in some way - is this right or am I deluding myself?

That's it for now. I think I have the renegade Washington and his contemptible army located in the area of Newport and several armies are converging on the city. I have also learnt not to make amphibious landings against coastal cities where you don't what the garrison is and have nowhere to retreat. Oh well, I'll just have to attack Charleston later. :king:

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Anyone?

lodilefty

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Quercus wrote:I'm a couple of turns into my first campaign, showing Johnny Colonial the error of his ways, what?, and i have a couple of questions.

1) has anyone managed to catch Benedict Arnold's army outside Quebec? I ordered a sortie with aggressive posture by the unfixed garrison on the first turn, and he still escaped (currently besieging Camden, blast him)

2) what determines where reinforcements arrive? I was delighted to see lots of Germans arrive, less pleased that they arrived at Quebec from where it'll take them 6 months to walk anywhere on the front line. Hooray for the Royal Navy and its transport capability.

3) does anyone bother standing regulars in areas without structures to try and change the loyalty and control? Obviously the loyalty and control maps have islands of decent loyal town-dwelling citizens surrounded by hinterlands of rebel areas: not only does it make the map look untidy, but I'd like to know what's going on there. :siffle:

4) When I reclaimed New York for His Majesty, lots of loyalist militia popped up. Is this scripted?

5) I seem to remember that fleets help in sieging coastal cities in some way - is this right or am I deluding myself?

That's it for now. I think I have the renegade Washington and his contemptible army located in the area of Newport and several armies are converging on the city. I have also learnt not to make amphibious landings against coastal cities where you don't what the garrison is and have nowhere to retreat. Oh well, I'll just have to attack Charleston later. :king:

1) Sortie only functions in support of an attack by another stack outside the fortress.
2) Move your transports to Quebec and load them to transport elsewhere by ocean. Your Bateaux will help get them as far as Montreal or into the Great Lakes.
3) No real reason to, and you don't have enough troops to spread out like that (this is my opinion. there may be facts built into the game that I don't know)
4) Yes
5) They do help, and are necessary to keep the forces under seige from resupplying. Hold mouse over the ocean area and tooltip will tell you how many fighting ships (transports and bateaux don't count) you'll need in that area. Hold your mouse over the port symbol of the area you wish to blockade, and it will tell you what sea areas you need to blockade. Not that if the sea area is frozen, the port symbol tool tip will NOT list it!
6) Woops, there is no 6!!! :siffle:

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:12 pm

Quercus wrote:I'm a couple of turns into my first campaign, showing Johnny Colonial the error of his ways, what?, and i have a couple of questions.

1.) Just move the units you want to attack outside of the city in attack or assault posture. See lodilefty's post for sortie button.

2.) In the events file there is a range of regions for reinforcement events that the game will pick from determined by your control. Control the first and they go there. Control the second but not the first and they go there, etc. There is a large Hessian Contingent that always goes to Quebec with Burgoyne.

3.) Control of the major cities will creep out from them into the country side. Cavalry and your partisans increase policing of the regions. Of course the best way to change control of a region is with a Huge stack of regulars. Remeber you only need to maintain 51% (I Think.)

4.) Yes, you get the same when you land in the south.

5.) What lodilefty said.

Quercus wrote:That's it for now. I think I have the renegade Washington and his contemptible army located in the area of Newport and several armies are converging on the city. I have also learnt not to make amphibious landings against coastal cities where you don't what the garrison is and have nowhere to retreat. Oh well, I'll just have to attack Charleston later. :king:

Now you know how Clinton felt in 1776 when he tried to force the forts at Charleston.

Return to “Birth of America”