Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Improve Movement Logic

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:23 pm

I was playing a game as the Brits in 1775 and I came upon a problematic movement situation. I was trying to move an army from Manhatten to Philadelphia. The movement logic showed the army move from Manhatten to Princeton straightforward but then the movement illogic decided that it was better to move from Princeton to Trenton and finally to Philly. I reset that move and then tried stepping it to Princeton first and then to Philly but still that crazy side move through Trenton. The next turn I was able to stop the move at Princeton and get a direct route to Philly without the illogical bypass through Trenton because the weather changed.

I've seen this nonsensical movement illogic in too many games where the program calculates the move by going into the easiest region to move to first rather than going into a region that takes longer yet is faster in the long run. In the example above the movement illogic wasted 6 days moving into Trenton rather than going straight into Philly which was muddy at the time so took longer. The movement logic needs to look at total travel time and should look at alternative movement routes to determine the fastest route overall. The movement logic should test movement paths that go through regions with a longer movement time that lead to quicker movement routes because it traverses fewer regions. The movement illogic should allow us to plot a move from one region to an adjacent one without silly sidetrips, just plain let us plot the movement path manually and logically on our own.
Omnius

Stwa
Colonel

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:06 pm

I noticed this last night. The area Philadelphia, Princenton, Trenton, does not always produce a good path to the target city. Could be a bug, or something wrong with a data element somewhere.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

A Few Other Areas Too

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:47 pm

I've seen a few other instances of poor movement pathing due to the routine looking for the first easiest region to move into. Too many games have this problem that are using regions/areas instead of hexes. I sure hope this gets fixed so that we can manually plot the moves from region to adjacent region without silly sidetrips.
Omnius

Hobbes

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:38 pm

Each region has a hard coded link to other valid regions. It sounds like one has been missed here, I have found numerous in AACW. Philippe should fix when he returns. See http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5108

Cheers, Chris

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Don't Think So

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:58 pm

Hobbes wrote:Each region has a hard coded link to other valid regions. It sounds like one has been missed here, I have found numerous in AACW. Philippe should fix when he returns. See http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5108

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes,
I do not think that is the case. I have no problems moving units from Manhattan to Philadelphia via Princeton most of the time. The only time it becomes a problem for units not moving directly from Princeton to Philly is when Philly is muddy. Then the program tries to think of the quickest way to get from Princeton to Philly and that means making the timewasting sidetrip to Trenton first solely because Trenton is quicker to move into than a muddied up Philly. Still it would be nice if regions were properly coded before the game is released.
Omnius

Return to “Birth of America”