Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Howe in Lock Up?

Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:33 pm

I was playing the 1775 alt. scenario as the British on the hardest level and when the German mercenary army showed up in June 1776 I discovered that Howe's Army was in Lock Up. I played for about another year and Howe never got out of jail so I decided to start another game. The next game I made sure to move Howe out of Boston two months before that arriving army and had to move him back after a big battle but he managed to stay out of lock up.

Just curious as to why Howe became locked up. I hadn't seen that before in many plays and it sure ruined my game when Howe became completely immobile. A real bummer because he was active for most of the time he was locked up.
Omnius

PhilThib

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:31 pm

We would have needed a save of that game, but you may have not kept one ?

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

No Save

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:43 pm

PhilThib wrote:We would have needed a save of that game, but you may have not kept one ?

PhilThib,
Unfortunately I didn't save that game's saved game file. I was rather surprised to find him locked up and unable to move or do anything for over a year. I wasn't sure if it was an event that triggered or if it was a bug but I figured I'd mention it just in case it wasn't supposed to happen.

I was playing the 1775 alt. scenario at the hardest level as the British. I hadn't moved Howe out of Boston before the first batch of 1776 big reinforcements showed up and that's exactly when he locked up. Hope that helps you track down the problem. Tried another game with the same parameters and did move Howe out before those reinforcements arrived and he was fine.

I also noticed that on the hardest level the American AI got forts at West Point and Peekskill which seemed pretty historic. Must be something with the fact that I never captured those cities early on and may explain why the British AI seems to always send a small army to Morristown to capture those two towns to stop the fort events from happening. Anyway I liked that the forts showed up and wish it happened more often at lower levels.
Omnius

PhilThib

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:49 am

Maybe you could try something when you have time: could you play it again without Howe moving till those 1776 reinforcements and see if it happens again ? If so, the bug is event-linked...if not, it's something else...

saintsup
Captain

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:57 am

Omnius wrote:A real bummer because he was active for most of the time he was locked up.

If you are not a newbee sorry for the evident suggestion ...

If you are, did you check that he was not grouped with a fixed artillery ?

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:13 pm

saintsup wrote:If you are not a newbee sorry for the evident suggestion ...

If you are, did you check that he was not grouped with a fixed artillery ?

saintsup,
I'm quite familair with the game and scenario. Did you realize there are no fixed artillery units in Boston in the 1775 scenario? I'm very good at segregating my fixed artillery from my main mobile armies where there are fixed naval artillery units.
Omnius

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Testing, Testing

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:16 pm

PhilThib wrote:Maybe you could try something when you have time: could you play it again without Howe moving till those 1776 reinforcements and see if it happens again ? If so, the bug is event-linked...if not, it's something else...

PhilThib,
I'll give that scenario start another try at the hardest level to see if Howe locks up again if I don't move him. I'll give it a whirl and if Howe locks up I'll let you know so you can tell me where to send you the file. Now I'll be a beta tester for the game for this little snafu, but I'd rather see this problem eliminated.
Omnius

PhilThib

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks. Once you get the save, send it zipped to support@ageod.com

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Tried Once

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:01 pm

PhilThib wrote:Thanks. Once you get the save, send it zipped to support@ageod.com

PhilThib,
As I suspected I wasn't able to replicate the Howe lockup snafu my first try. The reinforcements didn't arrive until August 1776 and didn't cause Howe to lockup. I'll have to keep trying but I certainly can't remember what moves I made that one game. I keep getting an American attack on turn 2 and that may be messing things up for my test. I even combined the two armies at Boston just to see if that would keep the American AI from attacking.

The few things that stood out on that snafu was that the first batch of reinforcements showed up in June 1776, a little early especially on the hardest levels. The biggest thing was that Howe's formation tab was locked, unlike the normal start where all British units are individually locked. I could not transfer units into Howe's locked formation but could transfer units out.

What files do I send? I haven't looked at the saved game files through Windows so I want to make sure I send the right stuff. I do like that we can delete saved game files inside the program.
Omnius

PhilThib

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Zip the whole Saves folder of the game, we'll do with it.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

If I Can Do the Trick

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:44 pm

PhilThib wrote:Zip the whole Saves folder of the game, we'll do with it.

PhilThib
I tried again but was unsuccessful at getting Howe locked up. Looks like this will take a while replicating my earlier game's snafu. Hopefully I can make it break again for you to see so you can fix. It sure put a damper on my game having Howe locked for so long.
Omnius

Return to “Birth of America”