Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Ambush Problem

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:22 pm

The ambush routine does not seem very logical or properly modeled. I wonder why units set to ambush automatically end up with the attack posture which would take away their terrain defensive benefit.

I would think that units set to ambush who successfully set up should still stay in defensive posture as they "attack" to retain the terrain defensive bonus. I also think that ambushes should not necessarily involve all enemy moving units as ambushes tend to end up as death traps for the ambushers if they bushwhack a large force. To more properly reflect the hit-and-run style of ambushes those attacks ought to be more favorable for the ambusher to make a small hit-and-run attack that causes a little damage to the enemy and even less damage to the ambusher. The battle should not allow the whole enemy moving force to fire back as ambushes hit small portions of the moving force. The ambushing force should melt away back into the countryside after one round of combat so that ambushing forces don't end up getting wiped out all the time.

I've found ambushes to be rather worthless as the ambush routine poorly models the historical reality.
Omnius

Return to “Birth of America”