Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:41 am

Lodi, open your copied game folder which you titled "BOAmod". You should see a brown and gold BOA execute button below the folders within the BOAmod folder. Doubleclick on that button to start up the BOA game with the modded scenario and database.

USSDefiant, I hope to finish the addition of riflemen and forts to the mod by tomorrow or Monday. I finally received ACW and have been totally distracted.

lodilefty

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:03 pm

Jagger wrote:Lodi, open your copied game folder which you titled "BOAmod". You should see a brown and gold BOA execute button below the folders within the BOAmod folder. Doubleclick on that button to start up the BOA game with the modded scenario and database.

Thanks!
I'm somewhat embarrassed! :o
I took the installation directions literally, and only copied the BoA sub-folder that appears under "Birth of America" folder!!! :bonk:

Once I copied the rest, all works well!

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:37 am

Hehe, haven't we all done something like that, more than we wish, since the wonderful world of computers entered our lives???

BoHill
Civilian

JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:53 am

As a suggestion, please consider using the freeware JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler ( http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html ) for installing or removing mods such as this fine mod by Jagger. Using JSGME will eliminate the need for a separate new copy of the game. Mods can be rolled into and out of an existing game with ease, since the JSGME saves your original files as it installs the new mod files.

After downloading the JSGME, simply place the jsgme_setup.exe file into your BoA directory (main folder), then run the jsgme_setup.exe which will install the JSGME.exe and a MODS folder inside the BoA directory folder. Any mod can then be loaded into the MODS folder (NOTE: the exact folder structure of the original game must be followed) and then enabled by first double clicking the JSGME icon; this will open an active table with available loaded mods listed on the left and installed mods listed on the right. Simply selecting a mod on the left and moving it to the right will enable (install) the mod into the game while saving the integrity of the original game) and the reverse moving from right to left will disable (un-install) the mod while restoring the game to original status.

The following is the folder structure (exactly the same as BoA) for this Jagger mod:

75Campgn13July07> BoA> Settings Aliases Events GameData> Regions Structures Terrains Units Models

After unzipping the various Jagger d/ls into the above folders as per Jagger's instructions, the entire 75Campgn13July07 folder can then be placed in the MODS folder, ready for enabling as described above using the JSGME.exe inside the BoA directory folder.

I personally use the JSGME on all my PC modded games including BoA. It is especially valuable in super-heavily modded games like Silent Hunter III or IL2 Sturmovic 1946 (each separate third party add-on expansion can be rolled in or out without using nasty Dgen patches). For more information, see the address above and contact JS directly there. Hope this helps; it will really make your modding easier!

PBBoeye
General

Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:18 pm

Nice! Thank you.

JD63
Conscript

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:16 pm

Lodilefty shouldn'y be too embaressed as I have followed the instructions and can't quite get it to work. I even copied and renamed the start execute button but it takes me to Boa, not 1775...,within BOAMod.What to do?

George40
Private

Riflemen & forts

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:56 am

Jagger,

Did the Riflemen/fort mod ever get completed? The files on the link are dated before the discussion of riflemen and forts. About to give the Mod a run and would like to see your most recent work.

Thanks.
George

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:48 am

George40 wrote:Jagger,

Did the Riflemen/fort mod ever get completed? The files on the link are dated before the discussion of riflemen and forts. About to give the Mod a run and would like to see your most recent work.

Thanks.
George

The forts are done and I think in the mod. You can run a couple of turns of the 75 campaign. If a fort shows up at Newport after the first turn, then the forts are in the mod.

The Riflemen unit is complete and in a test BOA PBEM game which has finally reached the last year of the war. But I haven't completed all the events related to the Riflemen. Once we complete the PBEM, I can try to finish up the riflemen. Probably 2-3 weeks to finish the PBEM game up.

If the forts are not in the mod, drop me a PM and I can send you the events file with the forts.

George40
Private

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks a bunch.

One more quick question. In another post you mention that the mod is not too fun as the Rebels playing against the computer as the Empire. I love the feel of the game, but having steam rolled the computer twice now as the Empire, I want to play your mod as the Empire and play as the Americans against the computer. Do you think your mod or the original game gives a better game playing the Rebels against the computer. What settings would you suggest.

Thank you for your work on this. I really appreciate it.

George

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:37 am

George40 wrote:Thanks a bunch.

One more quick question. In another post you mention that the mod is not too fun as the Rebels playing against the computer as the Empire. I love the feel of the game, but having steam rolled the computer twice now as the Empire, I want to play your mod as the Empire and play as the Americans against the computer. Do you think your mod or the original game gives a better game playing the Rebels against the computer. What settings would you suggest.

Thank you for your work on this. I really appreciate it.

George

For whatever reason, the AI is not handling the UK well. It tends to penny packet the Brits and the small formations are easily picked off by a human American player. The AI handles the Americans much better.

If you play against the AI as the Americans, I would suggest playing against the original scenario. The mod makes the Americans stronger for play against human players. Against the AI, the Americans do not need the extra strength.

Personally, I would suggest posting for a PBEM game if you really want the best American challenge.

George40
Private

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 am

Jagger,

Thanks for the mod, it is great. Just got through a first run as the Empire and I am going to give it another go. Once I play a time or two as the Americans I think I will look for a PBEM game.

EDIT: Having started a second campaign at the Empire and taking a little more deliberate approach than I did initially, even with all the changes the Brits still seem to have the upper hand. They just have to play more cautiously. A great Mod. It makes for a more balanced and fun game.

One question:
Is there a reason that 2 Regiments with 2 companies each of rangers would not combine (Kings Rangers + East Florida Rangers).

Bye the bye, how is the play balance in the ACW product?

Thanks again a bunch.

George

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:44 am

Thanks for the mod, it is great. Just got through a first run as the Empire and I am going to give it another go. Once I play a time or two as the Americans I think I will look for a PBEM game.

EDIT: Having started a second campaign at the Empire and taking a little more deliberate approach than I did initially, even with all the changes the Brits still seem to have the upper hand. They just have to play more cautiously. A great Mod. It makes for a more balanced and fun game.

One question:
Is there a reason that 2 Regiments with 2 companies each of rangers would not combine (Kings Rangers + East Florida Rangers).

Thanks again a bunch.

George

IIRC, two elements is the max size of a ranger company. You would only be able to merge ranger companies if each company was lacking one element. The companies must have lost elements before you can merge them.

I haven't really played much against the ACW AI. In PBEM, I think the CSA has the edge at least for the first few years.

Although I highly recommend ACW because it has more depth than BOA. But the depth comes at the cost of time.

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:48 am

One question:

Thanks again a bunch.

George

IIRC, two elements is the max size of a ranger company. You would only be able to merge them if each company was lacking one element. The companies must have lost elements.

I haven't really played much against the AI of ACW. In PBEM, I think the CSA has the edge at least for the first few years.

Although I highly recommend ACW as it has more depth than BOA. But the depth comes at the cost of more time to play. They are both very good in their own ways.

George40
Private

Little Bug

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:59 pm

Jagger, Still loving the Mod. FYI tring it as the Rebels so far you seem to be right (too easy). I have caught one little bug, one of my middle states malitia actually appears in Nova Scotia on an isolated island.

Thanks again for a great Mod. I will look for the riflemen add on as well.
George

Return to “Birth of America”