User avatar
Pocus
Posts: 25168
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:37 am
Location: Lyon (France)

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 am

Sorry to ask that, but are you sure the serial key is written properly in the file? I would prefer to take a look at it. Please send the file directly at my address: pmalacher@age-studio.com
Image


Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

kymatt19
Civilian
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:55 am

same

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:10 am

same issue as the above...

installed in folder c:/birth
no antivirus software on my pc (thats how I prefer it)
Vista ... disabled UAC and restarted

I run the configuration file, it opens and then closes I get a negative bing and I get a message (noted above) about "The instruction at 0x00000006 referenced memory at 0x00000006. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate program." I changed the compatibility to WIN XP and I get the same reaction.

So I gave up on the config file and moved to BOA.exe

I then went to the general.opt file and at the bottom of the file it said

6. Serial number (unencrypted, keep this file for you only)

I changed it to

6. Serial number = serialnumberwithoutdashes

that didnt work, It said it didnt matchup. so I changed it too

6. Serial number = serial-number-with-dashes

that didnt work so I changed it too

6. Serial number serial-number-with-dashes

and then I didnt give me the same message but nothing appeared to open. i tried it again, same thing. Went to task manager and in processes BOA.exe is there twice with 3,100 and 3,200k memory. Like its running but not showing me it is?? Then the mesage came back up about the serial number not being correct again twice.

In the message about entering the serial number it mentions "underscores" and not dashes which are what is printed on my CD case. So I went back into General and changed the dashes to underscores and re-included the = since there was an = in the above info.

When I tried to launch the boa.exe file I notice a new file was created named !Profiler0 which was a new step. But nothing else seemed to happen, I looked in task manager and found BOA.exe was there again and by that time the serial number is not correct came back up.

( I think you all get the point ... still messing with it but I think we should get some step by step ideas here that finally finish the issue. )

kymatt19
Civilian
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:55 am

code

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:01 am

found this in another spot on the forum...

6. Serial number (unencrypted, keep this file for you only)
Serial = xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxx

So ....

It works. Suggestions we somehow get it obviously shown to people that if ...

they bought this game at Target

A. The serial number is on a white sticker in the bottom right of the jewel case. There is no manual.

B. Turn off UAC ( which is annoying anyhow ) and make sure your antivirus or spyware software is not active. Run compatibility as WIN XP

C. install into a folder other than program files (not sure if this mattered for me or not but throwing it in) i.e. c:/birthof/

D. In BOA folder go to Setting folder then right click general.opt and at the bottom of the file make it look like this:

6. Serial number (unencrypted, keep this file for you only)
Serial = xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxx

E. I went a head and downloaded the dll file which is mention and linked in the forum thread about technical issues

and it works.

User avatar
Pocus
Posts: 25168
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:37 am
Location: Lyon (France)

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks for your helpful posts!
Image


Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

LaLongCarabine
Civilian
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Vista users: edit General.opt and prodeed to play

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm a Vista user. When I try to use the BoA config utility, Vista tells me the program, AGESettings.exe "requires D3DRM.dll, which is no longer included in this version of Windows". Something for AGEOD to fix in the a future shipment of CDs.

Norbert posted a helpful suggestion above regarding General.opt modification to include serial #. However, I had to edit file permissions (granted full control to my user id) in order to modify this file.

Once I did that and entered my serial #, BoA started no problem -- and I did not disable UAC, which means my PC is still protected by this feature of Vista.

Good Luck to others -- I'm psyched to play this game NOW.

User avatar
RELee
Lieutenant
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 7:28 pm
Location: In America playing French games.

Sun May 10, 2009 7:28 am

One more way to get past the serial number issue with Strategy First versions of BOA purchased as jewel case copies at Target stores in the USA.

After installing the game, I believe it installed ver. 1.08, go ahead and update the game to another patch. You can download and install 1.12 from the Strategy First web site, or get the latest patch from the AGEod site (1.13d) if you prefer. After installing, you can then run the configuration program and install the serial number without a problem.

Now, new players have options. :cool:

Return to “Birth of America”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests