Search found 24 matches

Go to advanced search

by Cdr. McBragg
Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:34 am
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: Newbie Campaign, Aide de' Camp
Replies: 32
Views: 24351

Missouri is a good early bet for early Union industrialization. It starts out "Very Good" and drops to "Fair" after the St. Louis Massacre. I industrialize while it is Very Good and almost always pick up extra supply and ammo in St. Louis, with a good chance for extra war supply. The best state for ...
by Cdr. McBragg
Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:28 am
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: Missouri, what do you do?
Replies: 58
Views: 47686

I couldn't quite identify the artillery pieces The gun has got to be the British Ordnance RML 2.5 inch Mountain Gun, from Kipling's "The Screw-Guns": For you all love the screw-guns — the screw-guns they all love you! So when we take tea with a few guns, o' course you will know what to do ...
by Cdr. McBragg
Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:46 pm
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: Missouri, what do you do?
Replies: 58
Views: 47686

I know to build a supply depot, you need a wagon. . .but what about for a fort? I don't think I have even ever seen the option opened up for me to build a fort.... The option appears in the same tab with "build depot", but only if you have the requisite components, of course. You don't need a suppl...
by Cdr. McBragg
Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:06 am
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: Missouri, what do you do?
Replies: 58
Views: 47686

A few more points about Missouri, in addition to the above: 1. St. Louis. CSA players with little experience as the Union should be aware that most of what the Union builds in Missouri will appear in St. Louis. The Union has a big force pool of Missouri militia and lots of cheap infantry brigades th...
by Cdr. McBragg
Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 am
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: Missouri, what do you do?
Replies: 58
Views: 47686

If you've got the time, I would enjoy playing you PBEM in that scenario, if you're interested. It would give us a chance to compare our ideas, and put 'em to the test! I appreciate the offer, and though I can't do it now I may remind you of it in the future. I'm not familiar with the scenario - I h...
by Cdr. McBragg
Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:41 am
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: Missouri, what do you do?
Replies: 58
Views: 47686

Here's how I do Missouri as the Union: 1. Build up a large Missouri force as early as possible, using cheap Missouri and Kansas brigades and 6 pdr artillery. Plan on building 2-3 Missouri supply wagons in the first two years. Supply is everything in Missouri. 2. Use the two cavalry that appear in fa...
by Cdr. McBragg
Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:32 am
Forum: Help to improve AACW!
Topic: ACW 1.16 QwikFixes = Updated September 23, 2011
Replies: 120
Views: 69987

I'm currently playing 1.16rc4 with quickfix 2 against the AI, and have not seen freezes or any other problems. I installed 1.16rc4 over 1.15, then installed quickfix 2. I never installed quickfix 1.
by Cdr. McBragg
Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Forum: Help to improve AACW!
Topic: ACW 1.16 QwikFixes = Updated September 23, 2011
Replies: 120
Views: 69987

I have built depots with a heavily damaged supply wagon, ie with less than 50% strength, particularly with 33% strength (1/3), IIRC. In 1.15 you could build a depot with wagons of 1/3 strength, for example the wagons that appear with the Union Patterson Force in May 61, which could be used the same...
by Cdr. McBragg
Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 am
Forum: Help to improve AACW!
Topic: ACW 1.16 QwikFixes = Updated September 23, 2011
Replies: 120
Views: 69987

I can't build a depot in a region where there is no depot.


It seems that a supply wagon cannot be used to build a depot unless at least half of its elements are 2/3 strength or better. This was not the case in 1.15. Is this an intentional change?
by Cdr. McBragg
Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:23 am
Forum: Help to improve AACW!
Topic: ACW 1.16 QwikFixes = Updated September 23, 2011
Replies: 120
Views: 69987

Regardless of the game and the amount of supply trains in a stack the button "build depot" isn't available if there already is a level 1 depot in a region. I just installed RC4 and Quikfix 2, and I can't build a depot in a region where there is no depot. Playing as the Union, I usually build a depo...
by Cdr. McBragg
Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:49 am
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: No ammo consumption in AACW?
Replies: 38
Views: 22616

No ammo consumption favors offensive operations. A lot. In the short run it favors Confederate raiders, but in the long run it ought to speed Union victory. Maybe someone in the current AARs can disprove this ...
by Cdr. McBragg
Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 pm
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: No ammo consumption in AACW?
Replies: 38
Views: 22616

lodilefty, in the 1.16 thread you mention a fix to ACW.exe that would eliminate the ammo consumption bug. Can you say how soon that will be available?

I do like many other features of the 1.16 patches.
by Cdr. McBragg
Sun May 02, 2010 4:56 pm
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: What general to promote?
Replies: 14
Views: 9651

My question therefore is, what cities generate the most conscription points? Maybe there is also a helpful list. You can see the effect of recruiting officers immediately on the Economics screen of the ledger. Deploy him to a city and put him inside of it. Check the Economics screen before and afte...
by Cdr. McBragg
Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:42 pm
Forum: AACW Strategy discussions
Topic: Question for players of the April 61 Campaign - Draft and Finance
Replies: 2
Views: 5349

Question for players of the April 61 Campaign - Draft and Finance

On what turn(s) do you prefer to make your initial draft, financial, and political decisions? I am thinking mainly of the Union, but I assume the same logic would apply to the Confederacy. My current procedure is to sign Total Blockade on turn 1, then Call for Volunteers on turn 3, and Taxes on turn...
by Cdr. McBragg
Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:27 pm
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: Replacements -- Vol LXXXVI
Replies: 7
Views: 5801

You know, if your coastal artillery is using replacements, they must be doing some fine damage to the enemy. I'd consider the resources well spent. In fact, if the enemy likes to beat his head against your coastal forts, I'd buy some more big guns. And of course, once they've been attacked, they're ...
by Cdr. McBragg
Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:41 am
Forum: AGEod's American Civil War
Topic: April 12, 2007: AACW was released 3 years ago!
Replies: 22
Views: 15505

Since I was a little powder monkey, pushing cardboard chits in board wargames, I've been looking for a good Civil War game. This is it, and it was worth the wait. Civil War board games were rare to begin with, and either too simplistic (Avalon Hill's original Gettysburg ) or too monstrously complex ...
by Cdr. McBragg
Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:43 pm
Forum: AACW Strategy discussions
Topic: Marines and sailors
Replies: 15
Views: 12048

It's the same skill. Marines are just stronger in battle.
by Cdr. McBragg
Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:54 am
Forum: Help to improve AACW!
Topic: Public beta patch 1.12a (RC7) (Jan 19th)
Replies: 177
Views: 93691

Is it recommended to do a clean install when patching the game? After trying out RC1, I decided to go back to 1.12 because of the depot destruction thing. I just ran the 1.12 patch without reinstalling. When I started a new game, it worked fine except that the map was corrupted in the Kentucky Confl...
by Cdr. McBragg
Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 pm
Forum: Help to improve AACW!
Topic: 1.12a strange thing
Replies: 28
Views: 15246

In addition, from a game-play point of view, I think automatic destruction of depots unbalances the game in favor of the Union. It makes an aggressive CSA strategy - like an invasion of Pennsylvania, for example - much harder.
by Cdr. McBragg
Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:05 pm
Forum: Help to improve AACW!
Topic: 1.12a strange thing
Replies: 28
Views: 15246

On the other hand, automatic destruction of depots takes decisions away from both players. The defender should have to weigh the possibility of defending a depot, or destroying it to prevent it from falling into enemy hands. This was a very common problem faced by commanders in the civil war, and I ...
by Cdr. McBragg
Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:30 pm
Forum: Help to improve AACW!
Topic: 1.12a strange thing
Replies: 28
Views: 15246

It appears that capturing forces now automatically destroy depots. You receive a message like "You razed the depot in X, as yours was better."

This will put strategy through some major changes.
by Cdr. McBragg
Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:01 pm
Forum: AACW Strategy discussions
Topic: Switching sides?
Replies: 2
Views: 2792

Thank you, sir!
by Cdr. McBragg
Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:47 am
Forum: AACW Strategy discussions
Topic: Switching sides?
Replies: 2
Views: 2792

Switching sides?

How do you switch sides - begin a game and then switch to the AI's side?
by Cdr. McBragg
Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:48 am
Forum: AACW Strategy discussions
Topic: Frustration, frustration. My generals will not ATTACK!
Replies: 24
Views: 14619

1. How do I stop raids in the far west? Are there certain cities it is beneficial to take to cut down on the CSA raids? After many sad lessons, I made it a policy to destroy all the villages in the west, including Kiowas and Fort Smith, Kansas. This eliminates them as shelter and supply and leaves ...

Go to advanced search